We have seen the Diva Dionne Warwick previously this year. Here she is the featured singer to the soundtrack of the movie In The Valley Of The Dolls. It’ really not my fav album of hers so I am interested to research the movie and find out what it’s all about.
Valley of the Dolls was an instant success when it was first published. Since then it has sold more than 30 million copies. As the first roman à clef by a female author to achieve this level of sales in America, it led the way for other authors such as Jackie Collins to depict the private lives of the real-life rich and famous under a veneer of fiction.
1981 TV miniseries
The novel was adapted again for television in 1981 as Jacqueline Susann’s Valley of the Dolls, a TV miniseries adapted from the novel.
1994 TV series
I may keep the album now and read the book. I have no doubt it will get remade as a movie soon. The concept of addiction to pharmaceuticals and the famous is not new and this book proves it. Interesting that Dionne sang the soundtrack and her relative Whitney died of them just a few short months ago. EPIC. Let’s add this to my list of movies to see!
- Fab Read: Valley of the Dolls (fabsugar.com)
- ‘Valley of Dolls’ co-composer Previn Shannon dies (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- The 80s bonkbuster TV saga is back (guardian.co.uk)
- she soars through spiraling climaxes.. since 1962 (justfortherecords.wordpress.com)
- make out music (justfortherecords.wordpress.com)
- Dionne Warwick: ‘I spoke to Whitney Houston on the day she died’ (digitalspy.co.uk)